Today is Isabella’s 10th birthday which appropriately falls in Adoption Awareness month. I always wonder if her birth mother thinks about her on this day. Does she wonder where she is? Does she look at each little girl she passes wondering? Is she curious about how she has grown? Does she wonder if they have the same eyes? I can not imagine the pain and despair she must have felt when she gave up her baby daughter. And yet, I am beyond grateful. I would love to be able to hug her and whisper, “our daughter is loved.” And she is so very, very loved. Our family was not complete until we had this bouncing, joyous, VERY TALKATIVE child. In all honesty, our family would be very boring without her. The following are statements straight from Bella just so you can enjoy her as well.
- Fog is really just sleeping clouds.
- The Cowboys are my favorite team. They aren’t great, but they are good.
- I AM SOAKING COLD!
- What in the planet?!?!
- I forgot to hold up my other finger to make the peace sign. (she actually held up a number one)
- Social studies was so hard. I had to write sentences. Like teenage sentences that were long.
- I am going to hangronize my closet (a mix between organize and hanging)
- I am conculating numbers. (while using a calculator)
- I think I see the horse! Oh wait, that’s just a chicken.
- Do you have check-up for the french fries? ( aka ketchup)
And as I reflect over the last seven years with her, I would do it all again. I would hold this child as she screamed for her “other mother.” I would hug her as she shut down. I would dry those tears and rejoice when they turned into a smile. I won’t pretend it has been easy. But it is worth every bit of heartache because I have gotten to be Mommy to this sweet child. She lost everything and we gained it all. Please consider completing your family with one of the thousands of children waiting for their forever home. You may just end up getting sweet messages from your child like the one below.
Cara Taylor says
Thank you so very much for sharing this with us. I often think, pray for and love to see what God is doing through your family. I remember, fondly, the trip Ryan & I got to take to Honduras together in 2014 when Isabella was only 4. She let me hold her while we were helping with VBS & while we stayed with you & Shannon, she let me read her a bedtime story and hang with her before bed. She was one of the greatest joys of the entire trip for me. We love you all so much.
Ryan, Cara, Jocelyn & Vivian Taylor